Frostbite Festival 10 Miler

Hi all!  Here is my race recap from yesterday.

Warning.  This post includes a picture of blood at the end!  I’ll warn you again before I post the picture too!

I picked up our packets on Friday!  In the past, the race gave away jackets.  Instead of jackets this year, we got these vest things.  I know some people who like wearing vests to run to keep their core warm, but the vest is also HUGE.  I’m not sure how I feel about it.  I didn’t run this race for the swag though, so it is okay.

The race started Sunday at 9.  It was cold.  Very cold.  Like feels like 12 degrees cold.  I ate a chocolate PowerBar before my dad picked me up to head to the race.  It was about 2 hours before the race started.  i think this is a good time for me to eat.  I think I could probably eat 90 minutes before, but I like to eat slowly in the morning.

My dad and I showed up at the race around 8.  We always get there pretty early!  It started at FitClub West in Springfield, and I wanted to check the gym out.  I’m deciding what gym to use, so I thought it would be a good chance to walk around!  It was nice.  It even had a little indoor track.  I think I’m going to go with another gym though.

We waited inside the car for a while before heading into the gym.

There was a 2 mile race and a 10 mile race!  There were a lot of little kids waiting around.

We headed outside right at 9.  They were 6 minutes late starting!  Not a lot, but it seems like FOREVER when it feels like 12 degrees outside.

The race started running into the wind.  That made the cold even worse!  People told me this course was hilly, but I didn’t really understand how hilly.  There was a little hill right away!  This race was small (obviously…who runs a 10 mile race in December? crazy people).  I wasn’t crowded at all during the start.

There was a few little hills in the first mile.

After the first mile, the 2 mile racers split off.  That made it even more deserted.  It was great.

Mile 2-3 was where the worst hills were.  The hills were so steep it was impossible to not go anaerobic.  It was crazy.  I was able to make it over though.  A lot of people had to walk (which is fine!) but I kept running.  There were also flats between the hills, so that helped a lot.

My knee started twinging a little bit on the hilly part, but I tried to run in the middle of the road.  We were out in the middle of no where, so it was much easier to run in the center than in St. Louis races!

This part there was finally trees blocking the wind!

There was a water stop right away Mile 2.  I hear the water stops are just people not really associated with the race who are just awesome and set up tables and wait around in the cold outside of their houses.  It was great.

At Mile 3, there were amazing spectators.  They were wearing fake grass skirts over their winter gear.  They even had their car decorated.  They were also playing Hawaiian.  It was amazing.

At around Mile 3.5 there was someone playing Jingle Bells.  It was nice to have a catchy song playing.

At Mile 4, I realized only 6 miles left.

Between Mile 4-5 there was another water stop!  I was still feeling good!  We also could still see people!

This was an out and back so we turned around at Mile 5.  At this point, the wind was behind us!  It was great.  I took a Gu at the water stop between 5-6.  At this point, the Gu was like a GU popsicle.  Still good, but very hard to eat.

Around this point the distance between us and the people around us seemed further apart.  For the last part of the race, we hardly saw anyway!  It was a crazy feeling.  I’ve done small races before, but never any this small that were this long.  It meant everyone spread out like crazy!

I felt good this whole race.  There really wasn’t a point that I felt like I was struggling too much.  Which is a bit surprising when you see the blood picture!  It was really nice having the tailwind on our way back in!

Mile 6 my dad and I realized only 4 miles left!  We knew that was nothing.

We saw all of the same spectators on our way back!

The hills seemed worse coming around after running 7 miles, but nothing I couldn’t handle.

Mile 8 had us running back in town!  It was on a pretty busy road, and there were cops at the big intersections.  However, there weren’t very many runners around us (really). So it was kind of scary.  I felt like car after car kept passing us.  I’m sure the cars were thinking why the heck are those people running on the road with traffic!

Mile 9 I knew I had the race.  There was only a little baby hill.  I picked up the speed.  We passed some people at the very end and finished strong!

Finish Time 1:55:06. I wanted to keep my pace at around 11:30 (since I heard it was hilly) or finish under 2 hours!  I did both.

Mile TImes

Mile 1: 10:40

Mile 2: 11:11

Mile 3: 11:24

Mile 4: 11:24

Mile 5: 12:03

Mile 6: 11:54

Mile 7: 11:15

Mile 8: 12:31 (Hill)

Mile 9: 11:39

Mile 10: 10:39

We went back into the gym and got some hot chocolate.  We drove home.  My foot hurt a little bit, but it didn’t seem like anything abnormal.

Until I got home and took my sock off.



It was a bit of blood.  I could figure out the source.  It wasn’t a blister.  The blood was all between two toes.  I think my toes were pressed together, and my toenail cut into my toe skin.

Pretty gross.

I’m taking the week off of running.  Mostly to focus on GRE, but also because I don’t want to start bleeding again!

Overall, it was a great race.  Only one person passed us after the first mile.  We passed some people at the end.  I would do this race again.  I don’t know if I would do the 2 mile race!  Too cold for that.

I hope everyone had a great Monday!  Back to work for me tomorrow.  I’ve been doing GRE prep today.


About Anna S.

History Major. Runner. 20 something. Arts Education Manager. New Okie.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Frostbite Festival 10 Miler

  1. Lauren says:

    That bloody toe thing has totally happened to me. It didn’t bother me at all, I just looked down and saw that my shoe was soaked in blood. Gross.

    • Anna S. says:

      It was super gross when I noticed. It is bothering me a bit now. I think my dress shoes are pushing the part it rubbed closer together. I wish I could go to work barefoot!

  2. Sounds like it was a great race! Too bad about your bloody toes – the same thing happens to me all the time.

  3. Congrats on your awesome time and finish!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s